In April 1995, HSV launched the new generation VS range, which at the time, represented the pinnacle of Australian sports motoring. The HSV VS GTS was the flagship performance model of HSV (except VS GTS/R) and came with a six-speed manual or optional four-speed automatic.
The VS Series GTS retained the same Holden 5.7-litre stroked engine producing 215kw as used in the VR GTS. This motor had its debut in the VR series of HSV sedans. It was a bored and stroked version of the Holden 304ci 5.0 litre and was originally available on the VR Senator and GTS 215i.
A Tremec T-56 six-speed manual gearbox option exclusive to this engine was introduced as the then current Borg-Warner T-5 5-speed could not reliably handle the prodigious amounts of torque it produced.
The VS series of 1995 also introduced mild styling tweaks over the VR Series GTS with different grille, badges and a new three-spoke alloy wheel design to differentiate between the models.
|Years Produced||1995 – 1997|
|Number Produced||221 ( Series 1)
154 (Series II)
|Power||215 kW / 475nm|
HSV VS GTS Specs
Price When New
1995 – 1996
GTS (221 VS-series built as 83 Automatic and 138 Manual; April 1995 and June 1996)
1996 – 1997
GTS (154 VS Series II built, as 103 manual and 51 automatic; June 1996 to August 1997)
The HSV VS GTS featured a bored and stroked version of the Holden 304ci 5.0 litre fitted to a Borg Warner (now known as Tremec) T-56 six-speed manual gearbox as the then current Borg-Warner T-5 5-speed could not reliably handle the prodigious amounts of torque it produced.
Engine: 5.7L Holden V8
Power: 215 kW @ 4800 rpm
Torque: 475 N⋅m @ 3600 rpm
Performance as stated in various press reviews:
0-100 km/h (60 mph) 6.8 seconds
Standing 400m (1/4 mile) 14.4 seconds
Top Speed: 246 km/h
- 5.7 litre fuel injected 215kW V8 engine.
- 6 speed manual transmission (optional automatic transmission).
- Low restriction stainless steel exhaust system with twin catalytic converters.
- Sports suspension tuning package.
- Independent rear suspension.
- HSV premium four wheel power disc brakes.
- Anti-lock breaking system (ABS).
- Specific polished three spoke sports alloy wheels with premium 17 inch 235/45 tyres.
- Hydratrak speed sensitive fluid coupling limited slip differential.
- Specific large rear spoiler with “disappearing” clear lens stop lamp.
- Dual chrome tipped exhaust.
- Glencoe sports front seat design with Mulcahy velour trim.
- Trip computer.
- Power rack and pinion steering.
- Four spoke leather covered steering wheel with telescopic adjust ensures that “just right” driving position.
- Leather gear shift knob.
- Leather hand brake lever.
- Electronic cruise control.
- 250 km/h speedometer.
- Air conditioning.
- Carbon composite console applique.
- AM/FM stereo electronic tune radio with local/distant selector switch, automatic station store memory, cassette player with auto reverse and six speakers totalling 30 watts.
- Front and rear power windows.
- Vanity mirror in passenger sun visor.
- Driver’s airbag (optional passenger airbag).
- Luggage restraint system.
- Fully carpeted boot.
- Fire extinguisher.
- Optional sunroof.